Re: [NTLK] Newton demos (was I'm back (and bad news))

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Apr 10 2002 - 17:06:50 EDT

A similar thing happened on a Delta flight from San
Francisco to Honolulu.
One of the female flight attendants saw me using my
newton and asked to look at it. I explained what it
was and she promptly went and gathered the rest of the
flight attendants. I have the entire crew around my
seat watching me demo my Newt! I went through what is
now my standard demo. When I was finished, there was a
feeling of awe and respect for the Newton! One flight
attendant (male) was so impressed he wanted further
information! He then produced a Mac laptop. I don't
know which one it was but it had a really huge LCD
that was perhaps less than .25 inches thick! If I
wasn't a PC guy, I would have felt quite envious! I
then proceeded to give him all the Newtontalk
information. I suspect that we will probably see him
in the coming weeks. He was really interested and
seemed to have a "gadget" bent to him. (he had some of
his home videos on his laptop and showed me what he
had.) iMovie is nice, but it doesn't come close to
Adobe's Premier...but for free, it's nice.
Ed
web/gadget guru
http://npds.tek-ed.com (my NPDS server and it's new
subdomain)

--- Thomas Hofts <thofts_at_mac.com> wrote:
<snip>
> They weren't concerned about the
> security of it...they
> wanted to know what it was, how it worked and who
> made it. I gave them a
> short demo of handwriting recognition, how you could
> web surf, email, hook
> up the keyboard and a look at my contacts and
> calendar.
>
> The head guard says, "What will they think of next.
> I bet this thing will
> replace all the notebooks within 2 years!" I then
> explained the death of
> the Newton 4 years ago.
>
> On the flight back I used the Newt to type some
> thank-you letters. Three
> people stopped to ask what I was using. Maybe I
> should buy some of the used
> Newtons on eBay and sell them in airports!
>
> --
> Tom Hofts
> Lawrence, KS

=====