Re: [NTLK] OT: portable cd player - copy protected audio CDs

From: Bradford Schmidt (brad_at_bradfordschmidt.com)
Date: Wed Apr 10 2002 - 13:20:52 EDT

On 4/10/2002 at 2:15 PM Marco Mailand said:

>I don't believe that the dynamic range of FM is compressed.

Sorry - that is simply untrue.

>Any compression
>would introduce audible distortion.

Also untrue. Although it is VERY audible, it is not distortion. BTW -
most all live iinstruments and vocals are compressed during the recording
process, mixing process and/or mastering process. Compression does not
mean distortion - in fact, NOT compressing leads to distrotion due to
overdriving parts of the recording chain.

Compression and limiters have been in constant use in all OTA broadcasts
since the beginning of time. FM is agregious.

>> But what's all this satellite radio biz? Anyone heard the quality of
>that
>yet?

>questioned and there is for shure a sort of MP3 or whatever compression
>involved to get all the information thru.

Be careful not to confuse digital and analog compression. FM suffers from
viscious ANALOG compression - digital compression is what's applied in
MP3's etc.

Best,