Re: [NTLK] Variety Shop problems

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Wed Apr 10 2002 - 11:15:11 EDT

On 10/04/02 08:21, "Jon Glass" <jonglass_at_mac.com> wrote:

> on 4/10/02 12:17 AM, Grant C. Brunson at grant_at_burneffect.com wrote:
>
>> I too had a little trouble with Phillydiscounters / Variety shop. I won =
>> 2100 on eBay from them. They charged me $15.00 for shipping, spent $5.00=
> on
>> the postage and didn=B9t bother to insure the package. I found this out
>> during a brief scare when my post office was unable to locate my package.
>> Needless to say, a couple of days after the post office lost the package,
>> the e-mails I sent requesting the information they had about the shipping=
> so
>> I could file my claim, were ignored. $15.00 for shipping and no insuranc=
> e?
>> Give me a break...
>
> I also bought from Variety Shop. They shipped FedEx with tracking, and it
> got there fine. It seemed to be well-packed, as my parents had to do nothin=
> to ship it to me. It came with a 32meg card which seems to work fine, and
> the body is in good condition. My gripes: The screen, is horribly scratched
> in the lower-left-hand corner and a door clip is missing. It looks like
> somebody used a sharp ballpoint pen to try writing. I can ignore it most of
> the time, but sometimes it's a bother. I'm hoping that a screen protector
> will help in this. :-) It also has no dongle, which was my other gripe, but
> I should have read that more carefully. I realized it didn't come with a
> dongle after the auction was over. :-( The screen, however is my big gripe.
> I thought I had read that there were no scratches. Oh well. I'm 5,000 US
> miles from them, and I'm not going to quibble at this point.

I should have known that my Newton knew this. There is 4390 miles between
Cracow, Poland and Philadelphia, USA. If Jon is in Warsaw, there is 4350
miles. So, his estimate of 5000 miles is pretty close...

-Laurent.

creationism n.: The (false) belief that large, innovative software designs
can be completely specified in advance and then painlessly magicked out of
the void by the normal efforts of a team of normally talented programmers.
In fact, experience has shown repeatedly that good designs arise only from
evolutionary, exploratory interaction between one (or at most a small
handful of) exceptionally able designer(s) and an active user population --
and that the first try at a big new idea is always wrong. Unfortunately,
because these truths don't fit the planning models beloved of management,
they are generally ignored.