Re: [NTLK] I'm back (and bad news)

From: André Baron (abaron_at_mac.com)
Date: Wed Apr 10 2002 - 03:56:30 EDT

Laurent Daudelin wrote:

>On 09/04/02 12:43, "Ed Kummel" <tech_ed_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>They say that it is a requirement that your items go
>>through the x-ray machine. They will not substitute a
>>manual examination in lieu of an x-ray scan. I tried
>>to do it and they refused. When I asked them if they
>>will be responsible for damages caused, they said no.
>>They said that if I refuse to have my personal effects
>>scanned, then I can always choose not to fly. That was
>>my only option. I guess that this is necessary
>>becbecause flunkys that they hire can do little else
>>than look at a video screen. They aren't trained to
>>visually identify what items are in actual physical
>>form. Honestly though, I think that the security
>>measures are getting a little rediculous! I had to
>>remove my shoes 8 times in several different airports!
>>Next time I fly, I'm going to wear sandals and a
>>loincloth! (and don't get me started on what they call
>>"bistro meals"...)
>>

>I agree that this is getting ridiculous. They don't want to check your stuff
>manually, and they don't want to be responsible? What is this? We cannot
>bring anything anymore on a plane now (not talking about your clothes and so
>on, but interesting stuff!)? That doesn't make any sense!
>
>-Laurent.

Interesting, Last time I flew (Vancouver->St.Pauls->Amsterdam->Paris
don't even get me started on THAT!) in Vancouver they hand checked my
big suitcase, not because I asked them, boy was I glad that they didn't
ask to had check he box the contained my bike, it would have been hell
to get everything back in! Then they Xray'd my carry on luggage
(trumpet backpack an small newton bag) The took my NAIL CLIPPERS you
know, clippers not scissors! Sure I'm going to hijack a plane with nail
clippers, why don't I just use the fork, knife, or even spoon they give
with the inflight meal! After the newton was xRayed they made me turn
it on (Hmm whats that, a circuit board, oh better look at that) but I
guess they make all electronic gear be turned on, there was a guy beside
me who had a PB G3 that also had to be started up, what a pain on
something like that (Once they see the startup screen OK it's good,
grumble grumble grumble, now I have to wait for the stupid thing to
finish booting up so I can shut it down again, that's why my notebook
will only be in sleep mode when I travel). After that they only wanted
to hand scan me a couple of times. But I certianly found there was a
higher security precense then other times.

André