Re: [NTLK] Newtonlink- newer version?

From: Steve Weyer (weyer_at_kagi.com)
Date: Tue Apr 09 2002 - 20:06:10 EDT

> Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2002 16:35:28 -0400
> From: John Ruschmeyer <jruschme_at_mac.com>
>
>> Pie-In-The-Sky plans include working over TCP and with the dock app on
>> the Newton side.
>
> Hmm... TCP seems like it would need a networkable version of Sloup. Is
> the dock protocol documented anywhere?

Sloup uses a simple text-based transfer format (nothing like what Dock
uses). no plans to add TCP connectivity to Sloup...

> Personal note... one thing I'd love to see would be compatibility with
> NOS 1.3 devices. If I understand Sloup correctly, it would be a matter
> of having the correct version of Sloup on the MP and requesting/sending
> the correct subset of information from/to the various soups. (Steve, am
> I missing something here?) If so, it would be a big productivity kick
> for the oldest MP's.

there is a 1.x version of Sloup. Newtonlink (or other desktop app) might
need to send a subset of data fields (typically, 2.x Names, Notes and other
apps have additional fields)

--
Steve