Re: [NTLK] I'm back (and bad news)

From: Robert Benschop (rbenschop_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue Apr 09 2002 - 04:35:11 EDT

on 09-04-2002 6:44, Ed Kummel at tech_ed_at_yahoo.com wrote:

> I was told that the x-ray machines will not harm film
> under 1000-ASA. But logic dictates that if it harms
> 1000-ASA film, then it will also harm all other film
> speeds, except not in a visually sensitive manner. I
> suspect that if you run 800-ASA or even 400-ASA film
> through an airport x-ray machine and then examine the
> film carefully under controled labratory conditions,
> you would find perhaps a not-so-insignificant
> degradation in the film's imaging quality!

Exactly, not even mentioning that you can 'push' your 200 ASA film a one or
two stops and suddenly realize that it's fogged as well.

Since I read different specs in the first place (ranging from 40 to 1000
ASA) and realize that one is never sure about the intensity used.
(the x-ray machines in Katmandu were still guaranteed to toast any film,
even 100 ASA with normal development not so long ago)

I would recommend anybody to either pack their films in a protective bag or
refuse to let them go through an x-ray machine altogether.
(probably no option after 9-11)

And Mark is right, the x-ray machines we don't see are often even worse.

Robert Benschop