Re: [NTLK] newton switch on by itself

From: Phil Denton (nanjad_at_ozemail.com.au)
Date: Tue Apr 09 2002 - 02:00:51 EDT

Thanks Marco and Johannes. Interesting about the amount of power required =
to blow the PCB track. The Newton with that blown track shows the 'double =
flashing' at switch on which I think denotes memory test fault. It seems =
there will be other fault/s as well probably related to power.It's a pity =
there isn't a schematic available.

There have been two recent reports of 'switching on by itself', possibly =
related to ESD. Is this something to worry about even though there is =
protection in the Newton? This is the first time I've considered them =
possibly vulnerable with normal use.

I might make a "port plug" like the PCMCIA blanks. I rarely use the dongle =
port and suppose any foreign matter in there might cause unwanted effects. =
I live in the bush and have found insects often choose a high tech location =
for their homes.

Phil Denton=