Re: [NTLK] Can't import Palm Desktop User Data

From: Mark Ross (markr13_at_comcast.net)
Date: Sat Apr 06 2002 - 21:41:44 EST

>I just got my first MP2100 yesterday and now I'm trying to get all my
>stuff from my PalmPilot to the MP. I read that Palm Desktop and Claris
>Emailer are compatible, so I just changed the File Owner of the User
>Data file to YSMV and tried to import it. Doesn't work. The NCU asks me
>what parts I want to import, starts a small program (COrgAE2),
>immediately closes it again and pops up a dialog box saying "The
>operation has not completed because the following error occured: Could
>not access file." I do have a small error log now, though:
>
>Sun Apr 7 02:59:40 2002: Error 4005.4005 at CILTRANS.CPP line 215
>Sun Apr 7 02:59:40 2002: Error 0.0 at XLATE.C line 412
>Sun Apr 7 02:59:40 2002: Error 4005.37 at XLATE.C line 413
>
>Any ideas? I'm in OS X, classic mode, btw. And I'm using an USB serial
>adapter. But everything else works, so far.
>

>Alexander

I'm not sure what Clais Emailer has to do with syncing your Palm and
Newton. Just use the Palm Desktop to back up your Palm, then sync it
with the Newton. Directions for the Newton sync are below:

Syncing Palm Desktop w/ Newton

This document is intended for those who are new to Newton, and want to
learn how to synchronize their Newton with Macintosh Palm Desktop. It is
a step-by-step process that guarantees productivity, unless something is
not working properly. Here is a list of items you will need:

A working Newton.

Macintosh Computer.

Bag of David Sun=FEower Seeds (optional). 8 pin mini din serial cable
(printer cable). Serial to USB adapter (if you don=B9t have the old type
serial connector on your Macintosh). I used the Belkin brand.

Norton Connection Utilities (hereafter referred to as NCU). Here is a
list of manuals of interest: 1. Apple Message Pad Handbook

ftp://manuals.info.apple.com//Apple_Support_Area/Manuals/newton/0308951ANAP
LMP HNDBK.PDF with its update:

ftp://manuals.info.apple.com//Apple_Support_Area/Manuals/newton/0308508AILA
TEB KGINFO.PDF

2. Newton OS2 (the operating system of the Newton device):
ftp://manuals.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Manuals/newton/0307843ANOS2
FTU RS.PDF

3. You may also want to read the documentation about cables:
ftp://manuals.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Manuals/newton/0308266ANCBL
S. P DF

Step 1 - Getting and Installing the Software.

You can download NCU from here:

http://www.unna.org/unna/apple/connection_utils/ForMac/NewtonConnectionUtil
iti es/

I had to right [or control] click on the link called =B3NCU 1.0 Installer
For Mac=B2 that this page provides and choose =B3download link to disk=B2.=
=B2

You can download the Palm Desktop (formerly Claris Organizer) from here:
http://www.palm.com/support/macintosh/ Install both software packages,
unless of course you are already using Palm Desktop for a Personal
Information Program (PIM), in which case, you are one step ahead of the
game here.

Step 2 - Preparing Your Palm Desktop

If you have not used Palm Desktop prior to this, then you can skip this
step and move on to step 3. This step is for users who already use Palm
Desktop. This is a crucial step in the process if you want to import your
existing Palm Desktop database into your Newton. What you need to do is
called a Merge, and you do it from within Palm Desktop. Open your Palm
Desktop, and select =B3Merge=B2 from the =B3File=B2 menu. In the next box t=
hat
appears you will have to navigate your way to the =B3Newton Connection
Utilities/IntelliLink/Organizer2.0 =DEle. Select the =B3Organizer 2.0=B2 =
=DEle
and choose =B3Open.=B2 Palm Desktop will then tell you how many items were
merged. Quit the Palm Desktop. To =DEnd out more about Merge, you can look
it up in the Help =DEle of Palm Desktop. In a nutshell, it allows you to
maintain two separate user data =DEles containing the same information.
Step 3 - Preparing Your NCU Open your NCU program. It will open and you
will notice that most options are all grayed out. This is normal. Select
=B3Preferences=B2 from the =B3Edit=B2 menu. In the Preferences box, select =
the
port that the Newton will be connected to, and select =B3OK.=B2

Step 4 - Making the Connection

Connect the Newton to the Macintosh.

Turn on the Newton.

Tap the =B3Extras=B2 button on the Newton. A tab looking divider comes up o=
the Newton screen, and in the tab should be the words =B3All Icons.=B2 If
anything else is written in that tab, then tap on it, and select =B3All
Icons=B2 from the list that appears.

On the Newton, tap on the =B3Connection=B2 icon. Ensure that it says =B3Con=
nect
via Serial=B2 in the next slip that appears. If not, tap on it and select
it from the list. On the Newton, tap on the =B3connect=B2 button. A status
bar will appear on the screen, showing its attempt to connect with the
Macintosh. Once the connection is made, you will see the NCU program
=B3come to life.=B2 On the Macintosh, hit the =B3Synchronize=B2 button in t=
he NCU
window. That will open up the next window, where you will select what
modules on the Newton will synchronize with what PIM on your desktop.
Select each of the four modules (names, dates, notes, and to do),
choosing the Organizer 2.0 =DEle contained within your Newton Connection
Utilities/IntelliLink folder as the data =DEle to be synchronized with.
When you are =DEnished with all four modules, select =B3OK=B2 and your Newt=
on
will synchronize itself with your Palm Desktop. If you did not already
use the Palm Desktop software prior to this, then I suggest you double
click on the Organizer 2.0 =DEle, and when it asks you which program to
open it with, choose the Palm Desktop. After that, when you use Palm
Desktop, it will automatically use that =DEle for your data =DEle. That is
all there is to it. Now, you can add/update items in your Newton or Palm
Desktop, and when you hit the synchronize button, the other will be
updated also. Many thanks go out to Paul Guyot for his patience in
guiding me through my Newton quest, and for providing most of the links
in this document.

I hope this document could be of some use to you! Walter R Basil

Mark Ross
markr13_at_comcast.net