[NTLK] New to the Newt!

From: dbrunacc_at_postoffice.utas.edu.au
Date: Sat Apr 06 2002 - 09:23:39 EST

Hi everyone,

Wow! That's all I have to say about the newton 2100 that I got from ebay
last friday. It is such a fantastic piece of equipment! I can't wait to
get the most out of it.

I just have a few teething problems that I would really appreciate some
advice with:

I have the dongle to attach the keyboard but no serial cable. Can I just
use a standard Mac Serial cable to connect the Newt to a Mac with a
serial port?

I have a palm (PC-serial) to USB adapter from my now retired PalmIIIe. I
used it to sync my palm with my imac. Is there a way I can use this
adapter with a serial cable to communicate with the Newt over USB? I
would probably need a special mac -> PC serial cable...

If I can't get these cables, I have the pinouts from the
comp.sys.newt.misc newsgroup (courtesy of google!).

I just want to install some packages for the ethernet card that I found
on ebay and then I will use that for communication.

There have been some wavelan cards on ebay at the moment in Australia,
where I live. I know that they are the right P/N's but I just had a quick
question. Can you use the Apple Software base station software
effectively under classic to share an internet connection, or do you need
to reboot in os9.

Is anyone useing the OSX software basestation hack (masquarading
firewall) to serve up net to their newt over airport?

Regards,

David.

P.S. Anyone have any memory cards for sale, contact me on dbrunacc_at_utas.edu.au