Re: [NTLK] Downloading with Nethopper

From: John Ruschmeyer (jruschme_at_mac.com)
Date: Fri Apr 05 2002 - 14:02:17 EST

Laurent Daudelin wrote:

> On 05/04/02 13:07, "Robert Benschop" <rbenschop_at_mac.com> wrote:
>

>>on 05-04-2002 7:11, Jon Glass at jonglass_at_mac.com wrote:
>>

>>>Well, since my new 2100 doesn't have a dongle, I'm forced to use creative
>>>means to get software onto my Newt until I can get a dongle.
>>>
>>I could send you a dongle, but why bother, just get an Ethernet card.
>>They're cheaper and way faster, since you still have your 130 you could beam
>>the drivers and necessary packages to your 2100.
>>

> I thought I read a few times that the complete NIE drivers wouldn't install
> on a 130?

The issue seems to be that specific pieces won't load on a 2.x Newton.
So, it becomes a question of how much do you need to load to bootstrap
yourself.

In my case, my 2000U came with enough of NIE 2 loaded to allow
serial/modem, but not Ethernet connections. Following the advice on the
list, I loaded tried loading the ethernet pieces, the devices package,
the farallon driver, and the 3Com enabler on my 120 (which was already
running NIE 1.1). The devices package, the Farallon driver, and the 3Com
enabler all loaded fine though with a warning about compatability. The
other Ethernet pieces would disappear as soon as they hit the 120.

I beamed over the parts that did load to the 2000U and discovered that
while I could not do TCP/IP over Ethernet, I did now have enough to dock
with my Mac via EtherTalk. From there, I was able to load the remaining
packages.

YMMV

<<<john>>>