Re: [NTLK] 2100 battery recharge questions

From: John Goggan (jgoggan_at_dcg.com)
Date: Fri Apr 05 2002 - 08:42:44 EST

Simon Roberts wrote:
> Are you sure? In my experience (and our local battery shop confirmed
> this), NiMH cells do show a memory effect. It's just not so extreme
> as with NiCd cells.

Well, according to most information about NiMH batteries, they are simply not
supposed to have any memory effect. Period. Whether or not that is 100%
true, I do not know -- but that is what I read pretty much everywhere when
searching for details about them.

Now, NiMH batteries (and other types of rechargables) do have a fairly
constant, but slight, capacity loss over the lifetime of the battery. More
recent NiMH batteries will lose 10-15% of their capacity over their lifetime.
For older NiMH, I am told it was even more -- so what the Newton may have, I
do not know.

But, it isn't a memory effect and/or caused by charging a not-fully-discharged
battery, from what I understand.

 - John...