Re: [NTLK] FAQ and ethernet

From: Hobbes (onefishtwofish_at_mac.com)
Date: Thu Apr 04 2002 - 23:46:13 EST

Verily, on Wed, Apr 3, 2002 Jesse Garnier quoth:
>> I came across another Newton FAQ on another site which was dated Feb 2001
>> (no relation to the NewtonTalk FAQ) which said that Newtons can only connect
>> with other computers through the ethernet if the network and those other
>> computers were from Apple. Is this true? The FAQ on NewtonTalk didn't seem
>> to preclude hooking up to a PC.
>
>Totally false. Newtons should be able to connect to any TCP/IP Ethernet
>network using a manual or DHCP-obtained configuration.

Well,not totally false...

There's not a way to connect with NCU under Windows via ethernet, AFAIK. That's pretty much Mac only, or does UNIXNPI support it too now? Short answer is: for package installing packages, importing/exporting or backing up over ethernet = Mac only. TCP/IP and other fun stuff is platform indpendant.

As for the FAQ, if it's mine (http://www.newted.org/~1f2frfbf/answers.html) I really haven't kept it up to date with the myriad of connection options to occur in the past year, if someone wants to expand on it, be my guest.

later,
ben.
onefishtwofish_at_mac.com

Newton Connections: Obsessive Newton News
http://www.newted.org/~1f2frfbf/
Sent from a wirless Newton. Yes, I'm a geek.