Re: [NTLK] Newt->WaveLan->Airport Config

From: Robert Benschop (rbenschop_at_mac.com)
Date: Wed Apr 03 2002 - 15:56:54 EST

on 03-04-2002 10:16, David Abramowitz at underdog_at_erols.com wrote:

> Here's my setup:
> PowerBook (Pismo) running OS X 10.1.3 and OS 9.2.2
> Airport Base Station (running latest Airport rev.)
> Newton is an upgraded 2000, with the alpha3 driver, WaveLan Silver Turbo
> card, and NIE 2.0 all installed
>
> Do I have to boot into OS 9.2.2 and use a Software Base Station to get this
> to work, or can I use the hardware Base Station? If you could share your
> setup (to the last detail), I'd be extremely grateful. I'd love to get this
> working.

I'm doing this from my Cube running 9.1 and Airport 2.0.2 and it's
configured as a Software Base Station, name is (of course) Newton and it's
on channel 11 and WEP encryption is off.

Only have OS X on my TiBook at the moment, can give that a try tomorrow.

I have Alpha 1 and 2 frozen, so only Alpha 3 active and contrary from 1 and
2 this driver doesn't give me 'not compatible with your system, contact the
author' message anymore.

On your Newt you'll absolutely must have NIE Ethernet Support.pkg and Newton
Devices.pkg installed (this is just for connection to your desktop, if you
want to go further install all of NIE 2.0)
In case it all doesn't seem tro work you might want to give NIE a test run
by surfing the web or checking mail with another connection, to make sure
that everything is in working order.

When you pop in the WaveLAN card you should get the window of the driver, do
check the 'Use this card for Apple Talk' checkbox.

In case it still doesn't work I would check your Apple Talk setting in the
Prefs, should say 'EtherTalk' and 'Lucent WaveLAN/IEEE'

Which brings me to the end of my ideas for the moment, in case I forgot
something I'm sure somebody else will jump in.

BTW, I answered on the list because I get the feeling you're not the only
one struggling here.

Robert Benschop