Re: [NTLK] Connecting to Outlook 2002

From: Lee, Christopher J (christopher.j.lee_at_intel.com)
Date: Wed Apr 03 2002 - 13:40:40 EST

108$?!?!?

Dang.

-----Original Message-----
From: Gavin McKenzie [mailto:gavin_mckenzie_at_fastmail.fm]
Sent: Wednesday, April 03, 2002 6:18 AM
To: Newtontalk
Subject: Re: [NTLK] Connecting to Outlook 2002

John,

I sync my calendar and names with Outlook 2000 twice daily, and I

expect that my method should work with Outlook 2002; it relies upon a

purchased copy of PumaTech's Intellisync for Notebooks, and I'm sure a

quick call to PumaTech would confirm whether their commercial offering

still works with 2002.

I detailed the method I use in an email from the archive at:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=newtontalk&m=100478876920383&w=2

For your convenience, here's what I said....

I struggled with trying to sync my Newton to Outlook 2000 for a long

time.

Lookout...Outlink...neither of them were satisfactory.

Then I went hunting through the archives and found a message (can't

remember

who posted it) of an alternative...

I purchased a copy of PumaTech's "IntelliSync for Notebooks":

http://www.pumatech.com/Intellisync_Notebooks.html

...and downloaded Lotus Organizer 2.1 from:

http://www.unna.org/unna/windows/lotus_organizer_212.zip

The Intellisync for Notebooks allows you to sync between PC PIM apps;

in

this case, sync between Outlook 2000 and Lotus Organizer 2.1.

Then, after running a sync between Outlook and Organizer, I run the

standard

Newton NCU synchronization. Works like a charm. This two-step sync

process

isn't nearly as odd in practice as the description may leave you to

believe.

I do the sync routine every day. The only hiccup is that every now and

then

when I am syncing between Intellisync for Notebooks and Lotus, Lotus

complains about a corrupt .ORG file. Given that the Organizer file is

just

acting as an intermediary there is no risk in just blowing away the

content

of the ORGFILES directory that contains the Organizer OR2 file and a

couple

of other like-named files with different extensions. After blowing

away the

files I just run Intellisync again and tell it to ReSync from scratch

rather

than doing an incremental sync. This is a minor annoyance that only

takes a

few extra minutes every now and then. Well worth it for the payback of

synchronization process that works.

BTW, the first time you set things up you have to initialize a Lotus

Organizer .OR2 file before the first sync by running Organizer and

doing a

Save of the blank Organizer to a file. Then you configure Intellisync

sync into that blank Organizer OR2 file.

Gavin.

--

Gavin McKenzie

gavin_mckenzie_at_fastmail.fm