Re: [NTLK] PPP, -60015 & SER-001

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Mon Apr 01 2002 - 05:35:08 EST

Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2002 21:25:09 -0500
From: Eric Schneck <eschneck_at_mindspring.com>

>I don't think your problem is the SER-001. I use it all the time with my
>cell phone to connect to the Internet. But I did have to play around with
>the login script. Maybe there is something fishy there?

Well, both units have exactly the same internet setup (I did a backup
& restore to copy it) which doesn't include a login script (this ISP
does PAP/CHAP). Additional experiments seems to really confirm that
the board is involved.

From: "PCBman" <pcbman_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2002 17:29:08 -0500

>I have no trouble connecting using the Newton Fax Modem and the
>SER-001 board. (I bought one to specifically make sure it worked).
>
>The LTC-1323 chip on the SER-001 is connected in parallel with
>the existing chip on the motherboard. When it is activated, so is the
>SER-001.
>
>I can't rule out a physical problem with your (or Bill's) SER-001
>board but I have little evidence of a design flaw.
>
>Does the same error occur (-60015) or do you get others?

It was only the -60015.
Well, at first, I tried with SimpleMail, so I got no error code. But
then, to know more about it, I tried Internet Setup Picker and it
always said -60015. Even when I set the login to something that
shouldn't work (I didn't get the -6008X error that means that l/p is
wrong).

>Well, have you taken a working unit without the SER-001 and confirmed
>connection via the dongle. Then, just fit the SER-001 and see if you still
>have communications (via the dongle)? This would tend to support the
>hypothesis that the SER-001 is part of the problem.

I have open my two units and done the following experiments this morning:
primary unit without the board: works
secondary unit with the board, either via dongle or directly: -60015

Please note that I'm 100% satisfied with the SER board. I tried the
keyboard once, it worked, and I use the serial port with Hammer or
NTK, it works like a charm (well, Hammer is still full of bugs :). I
never connected my Newton to the modem since I got the board except
yesterday.
The modem is an olitec Self Memory 2000
(http://www.olitec.com/pub/fself2.pdf). The modem settings is 28.8
and faster (tried with 14.4 settings, didn't help).

Please tell me if I can help further.

Paul

--
Home page: http://www.kallisys.com/