Re: [NTLK] More digital talk

From: R Pickett (emerson_at_hayseed.net)
Date: Wed Oct 31 2001 - 21:08:39 EST

> From: Victor Rehorst <victor_at_newtontalk.net>
> On 31 Oct 2001, R Pickett wrote:
>
> > A straight digital copy of an AIFF or WAV, burned to CD, will sound
> > worse than the original file? No. It will not. It will sound exactly
> > the same. It's the same bits. If it sounds different, it's an artifact
> > of the CD player, the sound card you're listening back through, or some
> > other thing. But the sound data are _exactly_the_same_, definitionally.
>
> Except it may not be. When your audio CD player encounters a read error
> while getting a sector (150 sectors/second of audio, IIRC), then it will
> either skip it altogether and play the next sector (assuming it is
> error-free), or interpolate over the errored sector(s). If this happens
> too often, then you will get clicks, or the player will start to try and
> reread things (skipping).

Yeah, we're saying the same thing. Your case here falls under my clause
above of 'artifact of the CD player.' Unless your CD had -burning-
errors, the data are all the same. Playback errors are an issue with
the playback hardware or damaged media, and not part of what I'm talking
about. If you read the burned CD in a proper error-correcting ripping
mode, like a Data CD, then you'd get back out exactly what you put in.

--
R Pickett           The people that once bestowed commands, consulships,
Hayseed Networks    legions, and all else, now meddles no more and longs