[NTLK] Paradigms of Portability

From: Joel M. Sciamma (joelsciamma_at_compuserve.com)
Date: Wed Oct 31 2001 - 18:51:48 EST

Alexandre,

> Recent threads both here and on Newton-FR got me thinking about the
> different ways people conceive of portability and what they associate
> with it.
> For one thing, there seems to be two radically different ways to
> understand what PDAs should be. On one hand, there is the paradigm in
> which a PDA should do everything a "normal" computer does with the added
> features related specifically to PDAs such as wireless everything and
> HWR. Then, there's the paradigm where PDAs are mostly useful as basic
> PIM+notes with restricted features. This seems to define part of the
> debates on size issues as people who want like the Newt's screen size
> may relate more to the first paradigm and those who dislike the Newt's
> size tend to respond more to do the second.

We could look at the basic themes that would accompany any device used in
data management:

Data capture: How to get information into the machine either by keyboard,
HWR, voice, docking etc. This seems to be the main determinant for the
minimum screen size. Even with voice recognition (assuming it's really good
- a big assumption) HWR will always be desiriable if your intention is to
add data when away from home base. You can trade screen surface for keyboard
as the Psion does (did) and do without HWR but I would rate such a small
keyboard as being minimally useful whereas an eMate is just right.

Data display: What task are you expecting the device to provide? Generally
speaking, more screen you have, greater the variety and richness of the
tasks you can perform.

Data transfer: There are virtually no implications for the physical format
of the device - this task can be well implemented with very little
interface.

We can assume that memory, processing power etc. are what ever you want them
to be.

If what you need is a proxy of your home base data with limited data capture
then you end up with something like a Palm: Capture by dock, constrained
usefulness, small physical dimensions.

If you prefer to engage in more challenging data manipulation tasks like
drawing, text editing and databases etc. then it looks like you need
something like the Newt - larger form factor, HWR and the rest.

I don't view my Newts as simulating what my PowerBook or desktops do and
wouldn't want them to. A PDA requires a different way to manage the
interface and different priorities for managing tasks. My Newts are usually
the sole repository of information that is best accessed by a PDA without
the encumberance of a PC. They are also a major data capture widget for data
that may end up in any computing device.

I like the Newt so much because it allows me to perform rich tasks anywhere
which also happen to be best done in its own environment. Note taking is a
dream on the Newt - a laptop would be a barrier to others and lack the
agility of pen-based control and a Palm would not have the size to write and
arrange a rapidly building outline. Sketching in NewtPaint is brilliant with
a decent screen. This is PDA as companion and not just servant.

Like many others here, I would just love a Newt that was just the screen of
of the MP2K and as little as possible in thickness. Memory Stick storage
plus audio in/out, Ethernet & FireWire. Lithium power.
A beautiful fantasy.

A question. I like to have hardware controls instead of forcing everything
onto the screen and would have liked to have seen scroll buttons and
something like a jog-dial on the Newt. What do you think?

Joel.