Re: [NTLK] Checking in / iPod Comments...

From: Marco Mailand (newton2k1_at_mac.com)
Date: Wed Oct 31 2001 - 15:21:15 EST

Michael J. Hu=DFmann wrote:
> Indeed. If audio CDs used compression, this would have to be the only
> kind of compression that saves no space whatsoever -- a 1:1 compression
> ratio. No wonder this was kept a secret ... ;-)
I forgot to mention:
CDs store the information 1:1, so no compression from the viewpoint of
incoming and stored information. Stop, it becomes worse: The CD stores also
a CRC after each chunk of data which is redundant to the information. This
means that there is the contrary of compression stored on the CD, more data
than necessary to listen to music but enough to restore if reading wasn't
successful. How can we write this compression ratio down? 1:0.98 or so
should be fine... :-)

--=20
With best regards / Viele Gruesse

Marco Mailand