Re: [NTLK] Checking in / iPod Comments...

From: Michael J. Hußmann (michael_at_michael-hussmann.de)
Date: Wed Oct 31 2001 - 15:13:25 EST

Robert Benschop (rbenschop_at_mac.com) wrote:

> if everything is on a CD, than why the difference ?

Robert,

sampling and quantization alone ensure that there can't be everything on
a digital recording. As far as I know, the SACD uses a higher sampling
frequency and a bigger sample size, so technically it has to be better
than Red Book CDDA (not that I would hear any difference, to be sure).

Analog recordings have their own limitations, even when they are of a
different kind than the limitations of digital recordings. No recording
can capture everything, so invariably we will have to accept a compromise.

> Yes, and it will sound worse compared to the original.
> Not as bad as MP3 though.

A double-blind study conducted by the German computer magazine c't
revealed that only very young people could distinguish high-quality MP3
tracks from CD tracks, and even they couldn't say which was which. At my
age (43) it would be unwise to invest in high-end audio equipment.

- Michael

Michael J. Hussmann

E-mail: michael_at_michael-hussmann.de
WWW: http://michael-hussmann.de