Re: [NTLK] Checking in / iPod Comments...

From: The Compulsive Splicer (splicer_at_paroxysm.com)
Date: Wed Oct 31 2001 - 14:22:20 EST

Robert Benschop wrote:

>Though I'm eager to get rid of this subject, lets at least keep with facts.
>
>Analogue recordings are (with whatever shortcomings they have) without any
>compression.
>CD's are compresses, though lots of people don't know this and the industry
>denied it for ages (to get CD players fast into the mainstream, hey it
>worked ;-)

Please source this claim. I find it very difficult to believe that "the
industry" could have kept this part of the CD (what is it, Red Book?)
specification secret all these years. I don't have special inside
knowledge, but I do know a number of developers who have worked with
CD-Audio and I think this tidbit would have been hard to get past them.
Unless of course they are part of the vast CD industry conspiracy...

Put that together with the fact that I perceive absolutely no need for
compression to fit the amount of music onto a CD, and I find this claim
incredible. (Try it sometime--burn a CD-R with uncompressed WAV or AIFF
files of songs from your favorite CD and I think you'll find they fit).
Even with lossless compression, you could easily fit 2-3 full hours of
music onto one CD, and we haven't seen that from the record companies or
had the capacity on our CD burners.

So I'm really curious. Where did this come from?

Steve