Re: [NTLK] Off-Topic Linux (PDA) Question

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Wed Oct 31 2001 - 11:05:04 EST

on 10/31/01 10:37 AM, Victor Rehorst at victor_at_newtontalk.net wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Oct 2001, Laurent Daudelin wrote:
>
>> on 30/10/01 18:58, Victor Rehorst at victor_at_newtontalk.net wrote:
>> [snip!]
>>> Sun has been threatening for a while to make a machine that conforms to
>>> the JVM specification - meaning that it would run Java code natively,
>>> without an emulation layer. Which would be cool for people (like me) who
>>> like Java. So if such a CPU existed, a JavaOS PDA would be rather zippy
>>> indeed.
>>
>> In order to take advantage of that, however, you would have to compile your
>> Java code, going against one of the clamored advantage of Java of being able
>> to be portable. Going that road, you could say that C and even Pascal are
>> portable... But I think that in some cases, that would be a good alternative
>> to sluggishness of interpreted code...
>
> Uh, no. (I thought that) Java bytecode (.class file) is compiled code
> compatiable with the JVM, therefore it would run unchanged on a
> theoretical physical JVM CPU.

Huh? If you have a JVM CPU that can processes raw bytecode, sure, that'd be
fine, but AFAIK, the JRE still has to translate those bytecode into machine
code for a specific CPU.

-Laurent.

COBOL /koh'bol/ n.: [COmmon Business-Oriented Language] (Synonymous with
evil.) A weak, verbose, and flabby language used by card wallopers to do
boring mindless things on dinosaur mainframes. Hackers believe that all
COBOL programmers are suits or code grinders, and no self-respecting hacker
will ever admit to having learned the language. Its very name is seldom
uttered without ritual expressions of disgust or horror. One popular one is
Edsger W. Dijkstra's famous observation that "The use of COBOL cripples the
mind; its teaching should, therefore, be regarded as a criminal offense."