Re: [NTLK] G3 iBook + NCU + Ethernet +OS X.10.1

From: Eric L. Strobel (fyzycyst_at_home.com)
Date: Wed Oct 31 2001 - 09:29:33 EST

at the temporal coordinates: 10/31/01 9:10 AM, the entity known as Jerry Tom
at jerrytommygal_at_yahoo.co.uk conveyed the following:

> Hi,
> Is it possible to connect the latest OS X.10.1 based
> iBook to the Newton 2100 through NCU & the Ethernet?
>
> I've been given a slightly older G3 running OS 8.5 and
> was considering swopping this for a new iBook with all
> the bells & whistles. Considering the Newton
> connectivity factor - is it advisable to swop or
> should I just keep the older G3? I understand it can
> accept the latest OS - is the upgrade worth it or was
> 8.5 stable and good enough?
>
> All recommendations are welcome - I'm just entering
> the Mac world with very little knowledge (but loads of
> admiration) for these machines.
> Look forward to hearing from you.
> Cheerio,
> Hellene

First off, anyone with 8.5 should use the free upgrade to 8.6. Next, to use
the most recent software, you should add CarbonLib (also a free download, I
believe) to 8.6. And to be honest, I'm not sure I know of any features of
9.1 that are compelling enough to warrant purchase of that OS.

I'd say that, given you can have the G3 up and running modern s/w for free,
you ought to consider using it for a time and see if it does all you need it
to do. If so, save your money for the iBook that comes out in a year. If
you use this G3 for TWO years, you can get the year-from-now iBook at a
reduced price and still be substantially upgraded.

Personally, I've got a few Duo's, a 7600/180 and a PowerCenterPro 180
(upgraded to G3-333) and I haven't even upgrade my OS's at home past 8.1.
There's starting to be enough upgrades that require 8.6 + CarbonLib, that
I'll probably go that far. I figure in a year or two, I may sell off a pile
of older stuff and get one of this year's Powerbooks or iBooks. But, for
now, this all does what I need, so I'll let others be the pioneers with the
arrows in their backs.

- Eric.