Re: [NTLK] Build your own Newton

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Tue Oct 30 2001 - 16:18:26 EST

on 10/30/01 4:03 PM, James Elliott at rootbeeraddict_at_yahoo.com wrote:

> "Eric L. Strobel" <fyzycyst_at_home.com> wrote:
>> at the temporal coordinates: 10/28/01 6:30 PM, the entity known as James
>> Elliott at rootbeeraddict_at_yahoo.com conveyed the following:
>>

>>> Would it not be legal to build a Newton using the ROM from a 120? If you
>>> could buy it separate from a Newton, is there something that says it must
>>> be used in an Apple product?
>>>
>>> -James
>>>

>> Possibly, but why take a step back in terms of the advancement of the system
>> and what's in the ROM?
>>
>> - Eric.
>
> I understand that, I was just wondering.

As long as you're not extracting or trying to reverse-engineer the content
of the ROM, you should be fine. Some readers here might remember the
Outbound (?) laptops many years ago. These were the first real Macintosh
laptops, way before the first Macintosh Portable. The ROMs from those
computers were coming, IIRC, from Mac Plus ROM chips.

-Laurent.

field circus n.: [a derogatory pun on `field service'] The field service
organization of any hardware manufacturer, but originally DEC. There is an
entire genre of jokes about field circus engineers:

Q: How can you recognize a field circus engineer with a flat tire? A: He's changing one tire at a time to see which one is flat.

Q: How can you recognize a field circus engineer who is out of gas? A: He's changing one tire at a time to see which one is flat.

Q: How can you tell it's your field circus engineer? A: The spare is flat, too.