Re: [NTLK] [ANN] Newton Audio Player, Newton Media System,...

From: Brad Tober (newtontalk_at_mac.com)
Date: Fri Oct 26 2001 - 21:15:54 EDT

The Newton Media System is a suite of technologies that bring multimedia
to your Newton. The first two components of this system include the
Movie Player and the Audio Player. All components share the same code
base, making improvements and capability extension easy. The Newton
Media System is based off of Newton Movie Player 2.0, which is based off
of Newton Movie Player by Lee Moon. The former two contain Handshake
Software improvements, features, etc. on top of the original code by Lee
Moon. This was made possible because Lee Moon released his source code
to the public (c.1997) when he stopped developing for the Newton.

I am really just beginning to find all of the possible uses for this
code. As I thoroughly investigate it further, as well as continue to
learn NewtonScript, I hope to find even more possible uses. I am already
working on a 1.0 release of NAP (what was released today was a preview)
which will include features such as a progress bar. Newton Media Maker
will allow end users, in some way or another, to make their own media
files for use on the Newton, whether it be outputting the entire
standalone app (as it is now) or make adjustments to the Newton app and
develop individual files for each media file. At this time, with the
Newton's file structure, I don't believe that the latter will be
possible (feel free to submit suggestions though, as well as offers of
help!)

I have added the updates I mentioned, please use
<http://www.handshakecompanies.com/newton> as the URL.

Brad Tober