[NTLK] Freedom of Speech?

From: Prabhakar Ragde (plragde_at_plg2.math.uwaterloo.ca)
Date: Fri Oct 26 2001 - 11:17:12 EDT

Bill writes:

>We have a saying up here...."freedom of speech". We're rather passionate
>about it. Especially these days. I thought y'all had it down there
>too....

Total red herring. Freedom of speech not only doesn't mean it's right
to shout fire in a crowded theatre, it also doesn't mean it's right to
talk on a cell phone during the performance, or stand up and start
arguing politics. Freedom of speech is a general societal right to
express viewpoints. But for each instance and each forum, you have to
argue suitability. This is a Newton mailing list. That definition is
elastic; it can stretch a little bit. At some point you start going
too far, and it is sensible to move back. As my contribution, I will
not post again on this general topic. --PR