Re: [NTLK] OT: Lo-Fi-IPod

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Oct 26 2001 - 01:40:01 EDT

What's really cool now is the VBR MP3. (variable bit
rate) You choose a base level of bitrate and the
encoder will determine the best bitrate for the music
being encoded. For instance, if you think that 128 is
OK for most stuff, but you feel you would like more
quality on the bright sparkley passages, but think
it's too much for the quiet parts, then select 128,
and it will record as high as it needs (within a
sliding scale that you choose in your encoder) For
instance, I was recording some Enya and most of her
stuff is broody and quiet. It doesn't need a high
bitrate, so on the quiet passages, it drops down to
96, but on the bright piano parts of Orinoco Flow, it
encodes at 160 or better! Based on how MP3 works,
there are just parts of music that just don't need to
be there due to the inability of the human ear to
discern them. And it all depends on your level of
tolerance.
The only drawback is that you need a player that
supports VBR, which most new ones should have no
problem handling. your results may vary.
Ed
web/gadget guru