Re: [NTLK] O/T discussions

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Oct 24 2001 - 23:58:02 EDT

<insert favorite game show buzzer sound here>
W R O N G!!!!!
you are now bannished from this list!
Go Away!
(jk)
Of course off topic discussions should be tolerated
within bounds of reason (on another list I'm on,
they're having the same discussion...it's a 4wd off
road list, so it's interesting to see the parallels)
I used to belong to a list that was extremly militant
in the manner in which it allowed interaction between
it's patrons (with over 6,000 members, they had to do
something)
As long as there is no obvious abuse and popular off
topic subjects are tempered after a few days, that's
OK...I really got scared though when the Mac/Windows
comparison arguments started happening...From a
gear-head point of view, I used to remember similar
arguments between my friends...ford verses
chevy...never ending! (I drove and still drive a 442
Cutlass <notice which automobile name I capitalized?>)
...uh-oh, I hope I didn't start another OT thread on
cars now...
As long as we keep the S/N ratio below the levels of
people actually leaving the list, then I think
occational OT stuff should not only be tolerated, but
accepted. We're people living in a world populated by
other people. Conversations tend to get started!
Ed
web/gadget guru

--- SlashDevNull <SlashDevNull_at_mac.com> wrote:

> Salutations,
>
> While I agree topics should be related to the
> list, when something big
> happens I think a few off topic threads are fine.
> For maybe a couple days
> or until the messages just start repeating the same
> information.
>
> And of course, the off topic subject should be
> mentioned in the subject.
>
> So am I way off on this?
>
> David

=====
note: This does not constitute a sig file...