[NTLK] Dragon software - last gasp

From: Mark Rollins (mark_at_mrollins.com)
Date: Wed Oct 24 2001 - 16:12:10 EDT

An article in the Boston Globe about the founders of Dragon Systems
lawsuit against L&H led me to write this. The response was that the
author would forward my letter. Let's all pray; or at least pray I get
that poster.

message follows:

----
If there's any way you could pass this on to the Bakers, I would
appreciate it.

This e-mail relates to the late, lamented Apple Newton 2100, and the speech recognition software that Dragon Systems was working on for this PDA.

Basically Dragon Systems had a business plan called "Talk to Newton" to develop limited speech recognition. A demo was released (which I was able to get) but it has limited use: state names, numbers, phone numbers only. Also, it's it a stand-alone application, so even when a state name is recognized, there's nothing to do with it.

I was wondering if the Bakers ever thought of releasing the Newton software as "unsupported freeware" which means as-is, no support available. They would accomplish several things by doing this. They would receive the gratitiude from the large community of still-active Newton users, they would receive free advertising among Newton users about Dragon products, and they could solicit donations to their legal fee fund.

I appreciate it.

Failing that, I'd love to get one of the "Talk to Newton" posters for my collection! -- Mark Rollins, CIH, CSP mark_at_mrollins.com www.mrollins.com mrollins_at_thermo.com