Re: [NTLK] O/T - Unintended feature of the iPod

From: SlashDevNull (SlashDevNull_at_mac.com)
Date: Wed Oct 24 2001 - 15:55:24 EDT

This entire thread is getting extremely boring.

Last message from me.

You feel free to have the last word. Say whatever you like.

David

> * SlashDevNull <SlashDevNull_at_mac.com> on Wed, 24 Oct 2001
> | Nor am I saying that you need to defend yourself. I am just curious as to
> | why anyone would continually criticize a product? Is it to point out a
>
> I need to repeat myself because you seem to be missing an important point:
> iPod is NOT the target of criticism here. Get it?

Your criticisms.

Not once have I said it was a poor product. I said that it is not nearly
as great as Steve's hype. I said that it is not innovative and
revolutionary. I said it is not a "breakthrough digital device". I
provided very specific examples of how everything iPod does has been done
before, and I qualified every one of them by stating that iPod does it
smaller or faster, but not first.

I say that iPod will fail as a standalone device because of its
Presentation

Maybe it will cause someone to reconsider spending $400 on a product that
hit a dead end before it was even announced.

An innovative iPod might have a 1GB Microdrive instead of a 5GB notebook
drive and would use the space for 802.11b so the unit could be used with
audio streamers over wireless networks.

The Nomad Jukebox (NJB) can do everything that the iPod can do. Maybe not
as seamlessly or as fast or as slick-looking, but everything nonethelss.

iPod is smaller, but if smaller really meant better then we'd all be
carrying Palmtoys, wouldn't we.

On the other hand, there are things that NJB does that iPod doesn't.

My prediction for iPod is that it will ultimately fail as a standalone
product, but future Macintoshes will include it in bundle packages, thus
ensuring its proliferation.

iPod happens to be mediocre at best, in my opinion.

There are less expensive ways of getting more and faster portable data
storage.

iPod is not nifty.

Sorry, iPod is evolutionary, not revolutionary.
Unless you count the fact that it can -only- be hosted by a Macintosh w/
FireWire as being some kind of breakthrough. I call it "broken" myself.