Re: [NTLK] Any update on that device?

From: Christopher Plummer (plumcakes_at_mac.com)
Date: Wed Oct 24 2001 - 14:45:27 EDT

>> I've eventually put a bigger hard disk in every Apple product I bought
>>

> Eh. This isn't necessarily a good thing - it's only showing, once
> again, how
> much Apple underestimates the needs of its customers. You shouldn't
> *have* to
> replace your hard disk - why not get enough space in the first place?
>
> Macs have always been crippled by their RAM and hard disk space - and
> like
> PCs or not, they've always been built to the hilt with such things when
> you
> spend the same amount of money as on a Mac. And Macs need that space
> more
> than PC users.

Remember that Apple was the first company to allow for a real RAM
upgrade with the Apple II. I didn't hear of many PC's with a possible
1.5 GB of RAM more than a year ago; I think this is still the case. The
reason people have to upgrade their hard discs is not because Apple
doesn't make them big enough. The technology gets bigger and the choice
becomes "get a new HD, ignore the new tech, or get a new computer."
Most people, including me, get along fine with the HD that Apple gives
us. Only somewhat tech savvy people upgrade their HD. To most people a
computer is a glorified typewriter or now a glorified stereo. More HD
space is excessive to them.

Apple doesn't give you more than you need because they figure if you
want more RAM or a bigger hard drive you can get it yourself.