Re: [NTLK] "iPod"

From: Michael_Guzzo/Harmac_at_harmac.com
Date: Wed Oct 24 2001 - 12:23:00 EDT

I think he's talking about transferring the MP3 files and not ripping.

Consider that FireWire transfer rate is up to 40 megabytes per second, then
you would only have to sustain a transfer rate of 3 MB per second to
transfer an average CD in 10 seconds.

--
Michael Guzzo
http://home.att.net/~michael.guzzo/newton/newton.html

-- original message -- Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 22:54:31 -0700 (PDT) From: Ed Kummel <tech_ed_at_yahoo.com> Subject: Re: [NTLK] "iPod"

You know, I wondered about that statement that Jobs made when he said, "download an entire cd onto the iPod in under 10 seconds" That doesn't really ring true and reeks of hype. I've been ripping CDs now for the last 3 months on a fast machine with a fast CD ROM, and the best I can get for ripping CDs to MP3 format is 15-20 minutes depending on the CD length. An average CD gives me 30mbs of music. USB is plenty fast for that. I think that Jobs needs to step back from his guilded platform above all of us mortals and re-evaluate what he says. Some people may take him literally! Ed web/gadget guru