Re: [NTLK] Any update on that device?

From: SlashDevNull (SlashDevNull_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue Oct 23 2001 - 17:12:43 EDT

> * SlashDevNull <SlashDevNull_at_mac.com> on Tue, 23 Oct 2001
> | This is the first MP3 player that is very small and yet holds a ton of
> | music.
>
> There is a player out there with a ~20GB disk and is only about 25% bigger
> than the iPod. I forget the name off-hand, sorry. 5GB isn't a "ton" of
> music. In fact, 5GB is less than half of my collection as 128kbps MP3
> which is why I replaced the 6GB disk in my Jukebox.

  The name of it is 'Nomad'. 5GB is a ton. Most MP3 players hold 128k.
Are you saying that a pickup truck can not hold a lot because a dump truck
can hold more? And a dump truck can not hold a lot because a barge holds
more? Well, if most everyone has car, then a pickup truck can hold a lot.
Sure it is a sliding scale, but 5 gigs in an MP3 player is a 'ton' of songs.

  My entire MP3 collection, all 32 gigs of it, is ripped at 320k. This is
the only MP3 player I have considered. Sure the Nomad can hold more, but
it is a crappy design. And it weighs more. And it won't fit in a pocket.

> | It also functions as a VERY fast hard drive.
>
> There are less expensive ways of getting more and faster portable data
> storage.

  I fail to see your point. You know a pad of paper is an easier way to
take notes. A daytimer is an easier way to track meetings and add contacts.
Post it notes are easier to use for a to do list. A laptop is easier to
surf the web and to send an receive email. A fax machine is much easier to
send and receive faxes. A book is easier to read.

  But somehow everyone here uses a Newton.

  The human body is composed of $1.98 worth of elements and compounds. It
is the construction that creates the value.

  The cool thing about the iPod is the total number of things it does. The
uniqueness of it.

> | It charges from the firewire connection so you don't need to carry
> | another cable or adapter. The interface is the ABSOLUTE best out there
> | and you are able to bounce around to find and sort songs quickly.
>
> Big deal. Really. Big, fat, hairy deal. 99% of the time you won't be
> using the UI on a portable music player. In fact, that is one of the last
> things that an audiophile considers, and given iPod's street price it is an
> audiophile toy.

  Uhh, you have to use the UI to play a song. Were you planning on never
changing the song? Or volume? Or anything?

  And I could NOT disagree with you more.

  Example. Say you have an absolute KILLER set of headphones. They play
music as if it is live. There is not a better sounding set of headphones is
the world. BUT they are uncomfortable to wear. If they are uncomfortable
then they will go unused.

  Usability may not make a product sell, but it will keep a product from
selling.

> | And your laptop is NOT just the most expensive wallwart in the world. It
> | now happens to do another thing in addition to everything else.
>
> When I'm sleeping or playing something on one of my game consoles or
> watching a movie on a big screen TV set or doing anything other than using
> the host it is just a wall wart, one that sucks many times the power
> necessary just to charge the iPod. It is also a very not portable wart.

  So I would recommend keeping the iPod charged. And by your own example,
are you saying that every piece of electronic gear you have is useless
unless you are using it at that moment? You can bitch and moan about the
iPod charging from the FireWire connection, but you know what? You are the
ONLY person to see that as a limitation. BTW, you can buy a power adapter
if you like. You can pay more for it and carry it around with you.

> | And why should Apple create items to be used my Windows users. [...]
>
> Because Apple's market for the iPod would be ten to twenty times larger
> that way. Because people who are not already Macintosh owners are not
> going to buy into iPod. iPod will fail due to poor sales because millions
> (or at least hundreds of thousands) of potential buyers will not buy one
> because they do not already own an expensive Mac, because for them a $400
> iPod will cost them an additional $800 minimum for an iMac.

  Sure, not good argument. I want an iPod so let me go and buy a Mac.
Doesn't make much sense. No one is going to buy a Mac to use the iPod. But
if Apple releases EVERYTHING for windows, why would anyone want to switch?

  An iPod will not make a person want to switch to a Mac. But look at what
Apple is doing. An iPod, iMovie, iDVD, Aqua, Mac OS X, FireWire
connectivity, and a gorgeous Apple Cinema display may tempt someone.

  I think releasing Mac specific equipment strengthens the brand. I may be
wrong, but I like the idea.

> | Did you really expect another Newton? Have you seen the state of
> | handhelds now? ALL of them are losing money hand over fist and even Jobs
> | has said that handhelds is NOT the place to be right now.
>
> No, I expected something nifty. Despite my personal hatred of Steve Jobs,
> I expect better from Apple. The iMac, the iBook, the TiBook, the G4 Cube,
> the Cinema Display. Nifty stuff that, whether it lives or dies is still
> nifty.
>
> iPod is not nifty.

  This is where you are wrong. The iPod is nifty. It is the best
MP3/storage/sans power cable device out there. And it happens to be the
only one. And it works better that every other device out there. That is
the value.

  And it is upgradeable. So you can use other music formats out there. And
I am sure Ogg will be added soon.

  If you don't like the device, fine. That just means one less person in
front of me in the waiting line. :)

  And Steve Jobs is a god.

David