Re: [NTLK] Any update on that device?

From: Edward Cheung (edwardcheung_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue Oct 23 2001 - 14:02:10 EDT

For those who cannot get to the page, can simply read the following

Apple releases iPod -- updated live
by Jim Dalrymple, jdalrymple_at_maccentral.com
October 23, 2001 1:00 pm ET

Refresh your browser for the most current news.

At an invitation only event today at Apple headquarters in Cupertino
Steve Jobs will introduce Apple's new "digital device." MacCentral is
there and will bring you live updates as they happen.

* crossfader: automatically fades between songs. new equalizer button
next to burn and eject buttons, with presets, 10 sliders plus a preamp
slider.
* Runs on OS 9 and OS X free download. releasing in early november.
* "Coolest feature of iTunes 2": designed to be used in conjunction
with the iPod.
* "iTunes knows all about iPod, and iPod knows all about iTunes."
* When you plug in iPod via FireWire, iTunes is launched, and all
your songs and playlists are automatically downloaded into iPod.
* If you add songs or re-arrange playlists, iPod automatically updates.
* iTunes 2 announced!! New features: MP3 CD burning, Crossfading,
Equalizer

* Auto-Sync iTunes: 6 million copies out there. Our users love it.
* lets you play by song, by artist, by album -- much like iTunes

menu items include: Playlists; Artists; Songs; Settings; About Now
Playing

* Just enable FireWire disk mode on the device. Has an LCD display,
backlit thing in the middle is a "unique scroll wheel" piezoelectric
clicker, so you can hear it as it goes around.

* Apple design -- stainless steel also a FireWire hard drive
* iPod is the size of a deck of cards. 2.4" wide by 4" tall by .78"
thick 6.5 ounces

* One hour recharge, 10 hour battery capacity charges over
FireWire -- no charging cable needed
* 20 minute skip protection FireWire built-in. fast -- entire CD
download in under 10 seconds

* "To have your whole music library with you at all times is a
quantum leap when it comes to music. And iPod fits in your pocket. Never
before possible."

3 breakthroughs in iPod: 1. Ultra-portable. Ultra-thin hard drive. 1.8
inch hard drive is .2 inches thick. 5 Gigabytes. 1000 songs at 160K bit
rate.

* MP3 (incl. VBR), WAV, and AIFF playback. Holds 1000 songs.
* Music players: flash (MP3) player, hard disk player, CD player, MP3
CD player

Apple's new device is a hard drive-based music player: iPod.
* It's a part of everyone's life. It's a large target market. It
knows now boundaries. And there is no market leader.

No one has really found the recipe yet for digital music. And not only
will we find the recipe, we think the Apple brand is great for this.

* We are executing on this stuff today. Nine months from having a
strategy, and we're basically shipping all of it -- iDVD will ship early
next month.

iApps know all about the devices. But a thought occurred to us late last
year -- the devices don't know anything about the iApps. There's never
been a device built to take advantage... what if there was?

And we decided to do it.

The field we chose was music.

Why music? Well, we love music. and it's always good to do something you
love.
* Jobs demos iMovie -- showed clips of baby videos

* iDVD2 shipping early November

* Jobs then showed a four-piece pie chart: video (iMovie 2), Music
(iTunes), DVD (iDVD), and Photo

* Let's start with the digital hub. This is a strategy we announced
in January 2001. We believe Mac can become the center of your digital
lifestyle. In other words, we're being surrounded by these amazing
digital devices these days.

* We have something really stunning for you today -- we have a lot of
things going on.

* Steve Jobs comes onstage: