Re: [NTLK] Chinese language suggestions

From: Edward Cheung (edwardcheung_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue Oct 23 2001 - 03:35:33 EDT

AFAIK, there isn't any chinese version of the NEWTON in HK.
Someone mention about the different kind of chinese input software
earlier, and I think it is developed by Joseph Chen, those are pretty
much the standard chinese input software, same type of input system as
any other desktop computer, I did come across some problems such as the
phone book(Name) and some other application do not support it, maybe the
fonts or something, and since you friend is in Shanghai, she will
properly need to get the simpified chinese characters fonts. If she know
how to use the chinese inputs, and can deal with the english base newton
OS, I think she will do fine with the NEWTON. Personally, i think it
will not take long for her to get use to it. But if she really need a
system that is base in the chinese language, I think the Palm OS will
properly be a better choices for her since Palm os is really popular in
Asia, and lots of HK of Taiwan Software Co. are still developing stuff
for that platform. I do know there is a new kind of chinese input
software that only use the 12 buttons on the number pad of the keyboard,
rather than using the whole keyboard. That input system had been
developed for PC and also palm handheld device, but not on the NEWTON
because our "good friend" stopped making the Newton before hand held
device gain popular in the Asia area.
Ed Cheung