Re: [NTLK] Success! NTK 1.6.4 and Mac OS X 10.1

From: Michael J. Hußmann (michael_at_michael-hussmann.de)
Date: Mon Oct 22 2001 - 19:31:41 EDT

Zachery Bir (zbir_at_urbanape.com) wrote:

> There are two separate popup menus, one for type of connection, and
> one for the port that connection should use

Yes, and just as Laurent said, the choice of a port doesn't matter when
"AppleTalk" is selected, as NTK will use whatever AppleTalk is configured
to use in the "AppleTalk" control panel. My Cube, for example, doesn't
have any serial ports, and I don't have a Keyspan adapter either.
AppleTalk is configured to use Ethernet, and NTK happens to communicate
with my Newtons over Ethernet just fine. Only the NTK developers had this
crazy idea that a serial port must be selected at all times, even when
AppleTalk (which doesn't require a serial or rather a LocalTalk port) is
selected, and that the selected port must actually exist. In my case, I
got NTK to work, even without any serial port, because it accepts the
Cube's internal modem as a serial connection. NB it doesn't make any
sense to connect to the Newton via modem -- it's just that NTK is happy
only when there's a serial connection in case it ever needs one.

- Michael

Michael J. Hussmann

E-mail: michael_at_michael-hussmann.de
WWW: http://michael-hussmann.de