Re: [NTLK] Open Sourcing ATA Support (was Re: Experiencing Serious

From: Steve Weyer (weyer_at_kagi.com)
Date: Mon Oct 22 2001 - 08:37:45 EDT

> From: Paul Guyot <pguyot_at_kallisys.net>

> About the revenue. For this project (and for any other Newton
> project), I don't think that the shareware or whatever revenue we can
> get (including some models you suggested) would cover the actual
> cost. I know I already said this, but if I wanted to make money, I
> wouldn't write programs for NewtonOS. I'm sorry to say it, but I
> think this is true for any shareware author, on whatever platform.
>
> And fortunately, I don't have any (well, not many rather) bills to
> pay. It would be great if I could get new hardware with these
> revenues, but that's all (Robert keeps me an eMate just for that
> purpose). I had some hardware cost I wish I could cover (to repair
> the two MP2100s I killed and for the CF card, but that's all). And in
> the case where I really need money (for the moment, I'm looking for a
> way to do a PhD in one of the top four US universities for CS),
> shareware revenue will of course not cover it.
>
> Anyway, I think that everyone who is still making money out of Newton
> software (I'm thinking about Steve Weyer and John Del Pizzo) will
> agree with that analysis....

I do get occasional registrations for Newt's Cape (and NewtDevEnv),
which cumulatively provide enough funds for system upgrades/replacements.
I agree that it's not enough to live on, and certainly not enough to
compensate me for my time/energy. During the Newton's heyday, it was
possible to make significant money even via shareware (Ben Gottlieb, Hardy
Macia,...), (and of course there were vertical project and commercial
packages too) but I don't see that as likely these days, even with the
wonderful stuff you, I and others continue to create. ;-)

Although money is a nice recognition, my main motivation these days is some
combination of
1) what's fun to implement (technical thrill)
2) other developers I'd enjoy working/learning with (e.g.,Sean,Paul @ Waba);
3) enthusiastic reactions/appreciation from users (e.g., Newt's Cape, VNC);
4) what might be reusable elsewhere (that's a major reason for my interest
in Waba, since it or some other Java subset would likely get me interested
in a new PDA);
5) perhaps some consulting/contract projects (mostly likely for other
platforms) leading from these development demonstrations (live resume)

[Kinda reminiscent of a worship service entitled "The Benign Hacker Culture:
Promoting Free and Open Access to Information" that I participated in 2
months ago at our UU church; our "sacred text" was "The Hacker Ethic and the
Spirit of the Information Age" by Pekka Himanen]

--
Steve
  weyer_at_kagi.com