Re: [NTLK] The MP2000 has a faster (clocked?) CPU than the MP2100??? :-)

From: Adam Warner (lists_at_consulting.net.nz)
Date: Sun Oct 21 2001 - 18:10:51 EDT

On Mon, 2001-10-22 at 10:26, Ed Kummel wrote:

> I believe that Sean has a WABA implemented benchmark
> test for the Newton that will return some quite
> accurate numbers.
> How about it Sean, you got some numbers that will
> either confirm or debunk this information below?
> Ed

It would be a bit more difficult than that. Since the MP2000 is volatile
RAM starved the benchmark would have to not be memory intensive and
never access the flash RAM.

Secondly, I (and most people) no longer have a clean Newton without
packages loaded. This could affect the results.

Thirdly (but unlikely) upgrading a MP2000 could turn it into a slower
MP2100. The extra volatile RAM (and overall faster Newton) could be
masking the lower processor speed.

It would be an interesting (though pointless) revelation if some models
of the MP2000 had the fastest CPU, even faster than the MP2100!

Since I'll be upgrading my MP2000 soon I could help determine this.
Since the benchmark has to have low RAM usage how about a really long
newtonscript loop, say ~ 10 minutes (with sleep disabled)? Utilising the
1/60 counter and a stopwatch for confirmation as well.

Regards,
Adam