Re: [NTLK] How "international" is Newton OS?

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Sun Oct 21 2001 - 03:24:26 EDT

>Do you happen to know how foreign language fonts are then dealt with in such
>dictionaries (e.g. the German umlaut)? Can the Newton OS also be expanded
>to deal with the recognition of such fonts?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean, but I'll try to answer nevertheless.

NewtonOS has built-in fonts usually supporting MacRoman character
set, which includes ü, ö, ë and ß. But you can add other fonts, and
since NewtonOS encodes everything in Unicode UCS-2 and supports
unicode fonts (in fact, I think that only the Unicode table of the
fonts is supported), you can technically display any character
provided that you have the font for it.

For recognition, you need to distinguish between US and German
newtons and Rosetta (printing recognizer) and Paragraph (cursive) and
between NewtonOS versions.

I think that German Newtons (Rosetta & Paragraph) and US NewtonOS 2.1
(Rosetta only) recognize the umlauts. Anything else (basically US
Newtons with Paragraph and Rosetta <= 2.0) doesn't. You can't change
that.

Paul

--
Home page: http://www.kallisys.com/