[NTLK] Music and Digital Devices (OT)

From: Alexandre Enkerli (aenkerli_at_indiana.edu)
Date: Fri Oct 19 2001 - 13:45:54 EDT

Having 350 CDs isn't so much and the expense isn't so extreme. I buy a lot
of used CDs and used to buy a lot of used LPs until a few years ago.
Altogether, I probably have between 400 and 500 CDs and about the same in
LPs. The average cost for each CD was about CDN$10 (US$6) and about CDN$2
(US$1.25) for vinyls. This money I spent over the years (say, about US$3000
altogether) is still less than what I spent on computers and music is as
important as computers in my case, both personally and professionally.

Problem is, such a music collection isn't really mobile. And I didn't get a
chance to burn MP3s of much of it because of the equipment I have. Too bad
because I'd like to have it with me while I travel.

Perhaps the whole digital device concept has a lot to do with convenience
and mobility. Now, if someone (Apple or not) could build an audio version
of the Newt with sufficient storage/memory...

Alex Enkerli
Ph.D. Candidate
Department of Folklore and Ethnomusicology
Indiana University