Re: [NTLK] Apple to unveil new digital device next week

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Oct 18 2001 - 18:32:46 EDT

As an MP3 server, you don't really need a dedicated
machine for that. As I said in a previous email, I
have 3 servers that do more than just serve MP3s.
Granted, one is a dual P3, 650 compaq sever, but the
others are just generic "peecees", P2 or better.
WinAmp (a popular media player in the PC world) has
plugins. A programmer (www.analogx.com) wrote a plugin
that allows WinAmp to become a streaming media server.
You point WinAmp to a folder full of MP3s, and it will
continuously go through the music until you tell it to
stop. This is streamed like a radio station, so you
can't really tell it to skip to a certain song or
something. I'm currently looking another WinAmp plugin
that grabs news reports and using a text-to-MP3
converter, creates an audio report and puts that
report into the stream between songs at certain times
of the day. I don't have the app name, I'm at home and
can't access the DMZ at work from here.
Ed
web/gadget guru

--- Jon Glass <jonglass_at_usa.net> wrote:

> on 10/18/01 9:57 AM, SlashDevNull at
> SlashDevNull_at_mac.com wrote:
>
> > I highly recommend having an MP3 server. I am
> listening to more music an=
> > watching less TV (Of course that means I am
> working more, but there has t=
> > be a trade off somewhere). :)
>
> When you say MP3 server, do you mean that it is a
> computer dedicated to
> playing mp3s or do you mean something else? Can you
> explain further?
> Intrigued. :-)
> --=20
> -Jon Glass
> Krakow, Poland
> <mailto:jonglass_at_usa.net>
> <mailto:glasshaus5_at_aol.com>
> =B3the assumption that being a human individual is
> enough to earn one moral
> protection of one=B9s life smacks of speciesism.=B2
> --Professor Jeffrey Reiman=20

=====
note: This does not constitute a sig file...