[NTLK] Experiencing Serious ATA 1.0b8-D Data Corruption (I can reproduce it).

From: Adam Warner (lists_at_consulting.net.nz)
Date: Thu Oct 18 2001 - 09:51:05 EDT

Hi all,

I've got a MP2000 w/latest BIOS update (717260).

I'm seeing a very weird _reproducible_ problem with a 32MB Generic
Compact Flash card.

Format a 4MB store (in lower slot?)

TURN OFF AUTOMOUNTING OF THE STORE (this will save you some headaches
later. You don't want to experience a lockup every time you insert the
card).

Upload this to the internal store of your Newton:

http://www.unna.org/unna/books/Misc_Non-Fiction/Hacker_Crackdown.pkg

(2.6MB)

It will take up 1348kB of space (from overview button).

Before upload I have 1958kB free (1565kB used). After upload I have
585kB free (used 2938kB). That's a difference of 1353B free (or 1373kB
used).

Now transfer (file) it to the new Card store. OH DEAR! 2,427kB has been
used up on the card!

Before transfer I have 4082kB free (13kB used). After transfer I have
1668kB free (2427kB used). The package overview still says the package
is using 1348kB os space.

OK we know something serious has gone wrong. Let's now try and tick
(select) and delete the package.

It looks like it worked.

But try and click on the memory info ("i", "Memory Info").

The "i" stays highlighted and it looks like the Newton is locked up.

Wait a long while.

Finally able to click on "i" and see a blank memory info.

Try and click other things. Locked up.

Finally press the reset button.

Can use the Newton because automounting is disabled.

OK I'll try and mount the partition.

Lockup (almost). If you wait long enough the Newton will reset (I had to
turn it back on). When I turn it back on I am told "Sorry, a system
error caused the system to restart".

BTW I think there should be a way to disable all automouting in the
settings (perhaps there is and I've missed it). Then I would be able to
recover the card if the partition was set for automounting instead of
getting lockups every time I insert the card.

Other hardware installed: Dlink 660+ in slot #0.

Other software installed:
NIE 2.0
NetHopper 3.2
http://www.unna.org/unna/internet/NewsReader0.4b/
UnProtect
ATLAN
ATA Support
Serial 57600

That's it.

I've worked far into the next morning isolating and then reproducing
this. So don't expect a reply for a while ;-)

Regards,
Adam

PS: The rest of my packages are unaffected by this problem.