Re: [NTLK] VNC: How to connect to Mac?

From: Raj Patel (rpatel_at_accelrys.com)
Date: Thu Oct 18 2001 - 03:40:58 EDT

Hi,

Set up both machines with ip addresses in the same range
(or use dhcp (although this doesn't seem to work well on my newt))

Try 192.168.0.1 for your Mac and 192.168.0.2 for your Newton
(assuming you're not on a big network where these numbers are
already in use of course). Use the same subnet mask for both
(say 255.255.255.0)

Once this is set up configure vnc on your Mac (run the VNC
server and select Options from the file menu to set an
initial password) or use the VNC control panel (both methods
call the same thing anyway).

Once configured on the Mac start the client on your Newt,
point it at the ip address of your Mac with the appropriate
password and select the connection method (pretty painful
on anything other than ethernet I imagine). Click connect
and you should see the Newton talking to the Mac (little
text primitives on the Newt indicate whats happenning).

Works a treat (tried it last night to a Mac and a PC - very
very cool if a little slow - may want to drop colours to
4 greys or just b&w).

Good luck!

Raj.