Re: [NTLK] newtontalk Digest V1 #267

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Wed Oct 17 2001 - 14:41:49 EDT

on 10/17/01 2:32 PM, Jgwdoc_at_aol.com at Jgwdoc_at_aol.com wrote:

> I've been trying to export my Names file (Mac G4, Newt2100 with 2.1, NCU) to
> Claris Organizer 2.0, and it repeatedly crashes in the middle of the
> transfer, giving me "unable to complete export operation." Any ideas? My
> Names file is basically a patient list, with extensive text notes, but no
> graphics at all. What's going wrong?

Does it always crash at the same point? Can you verify it crashes at the
same place? If so, I would wildly guess that there is at least one entry in
your name soup that is corrupted. You would probably need to browse each
entry with a soup editor to see if you can access all of them. My guess is
that at some point, you would get an exception. If you're lucky, you might
be able to get rid of the corrupted entry. If you're not so lucky, you would
have to recover from a previous, known good backup. You have a backup,
right?

-Laurent.

bug-compatible adj.: [common] Said of a design or revision that has been
badly compromised by a requirement to be compatible with fossils or
misfeatures in other programs or (esp.) previous releases of itself. "MS-DOS
2.0 used \ as apath separator to be bug-compatible with some cretin's choice
of / as an option character in 1.0."