Re: [NTLK] VNC Client for Newt

From: Steve Weyer (weyer_at_kagi.com)
Date: Tue Oct 16 2001 - 20:43:07 EDT

> From: John Skinner <ndutyme_at_home.com>
>
> Well Steve...
>
> You amaze me! You actually got it working! I wondered if that Java code in
> the Winblows and Mac Server app. would give you a start. I guess it did.

yes, the Java code definitely helped; I ported initially to Waba, and thence
to NewtonScript.

> Hey! Need any beta testers?

definitely -- I'll probably release Wed sometime.

====

> From: "Gerstein, Sam" <Sam.Gerstein_at_BOS.StreamServe.com>

> So, how's the speed?

I haven't done any rigorous timings; to do an initial/full refresh of MP2K
screen it feels like ~5-6 second. after that, there are smaller/faster
incremental updates. your mileage will vary.

====

> From: "john_fraser_at_mac.com" <john_fraser_at_mac.com>
>

> What type of speeds would we see on this type of VNC client over ethernet?

(see above)

> BTW does this work as a server or it is just (I say 'just' but my eyes and
> heart are still in shock)a client?

for now, just a client -- though I did find some Java source for a server
and if this client reaches stability quickly...

> Will we ever have a half resolution (a 640x480 screen views at 320x240 by
> displaying/sending every other pixel)?

interesting suggestion. the client is already doing some scaling down of
color info (255 -> 16; and I've even got it working at b&w + 3 gray
patterns, so it might even work s-l-o-w-l-y on 2.0 systems). not sure if
throwing away actual pixels would result in something legible.

====

> From: "Laurent Daudelin" <laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com>

> That is a great achievement! Sean told me that you finally wrote it entirely
> in NewtonScript!

first "draft" in Waba, then ported that implementation to NewtonScript.
(I'd still like to see the Waba version work.)

===

> From: "Eric L. Strobel" <fyzycyst_at_home.com>
>
> Yeah, but my curiosity is piqued by the issue of how a mouse is handled.
> That is, if one VNCs from a Newt to a Mac or Wintel, how is click, double
> click, click & hold/drag handled? Or worse, on the Wintel, that confusing
> and mysterious OTHER mouse button that does something different every time
> you turn around.

basically I've mapped a couple of gestures. see the description in vnc.htm.
tap = left click; caret = "right" click; draw a line = select across;

I'm also open to suggestions.

===

> From: Brad Tober <newtontalk_at_mac.com>
>
> Wow wow wow!
> I can't wait to download!

"soon".
I think I finally figured out how to access the "Ctrl" and "Cmd" keys on the
Newton hardware keyboard; and added a preference to select B&W, 4-grays or
16-grays (so a NOS 2.0 version is possible in theory). I've learned not to
release software when I'm tired, so this'll wait until Wed sometime
(really).

===

> From: David Orriss Jr <dave_at_davenet.net>
>
> I would *love* to see the server-version implemented. Connecting to my
> Newton via ethernet using VNC would rock.

server is on my potential to-do list, assuming the client doesn't need too
much more work.

> Steve W. -- I haven't done much NewtonScript, but I'm a pretty hard-core
> Java developer (it's what I do for a living). I'd love to help if I
> can... Lemme know.

thx for the offer.

--
Steve