[NTLK] Backups

From: Alexandre Enkerli (aenkerli_at_indiana.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 15 2001 - 11:57:07 EDT

On the subject of backups, it's a very important issue for me right now.
I'm preparing for anthropological fieldwork in West Africa and I'm
extremely wary of getting my stuff stolen or broken. So much so that I'm
bringing two sets of equipment, including a spare Newt. Of course, I'll
only have a very limited amount of data on the Newt, but it'll be decently
protected, IMVHO. Here's the plan: as a daily routine, backup the primary
device's internal store to card and then to backup device as well as a NCU
backup on PowerBook; weekly CD-R backups from PB (including NCU backup
files) including a copy sent to my wife in Canada. Primary and backup
equipment kept in different places at most times. Password protection on
everything. Most important data sent through email to several people,
encrypted.

Oh, I know, you all despise me! You all think I'm paranoid! ;-)

Alex Enkerli
Ph.D. Candidate
Department of Folklore and Ethnomusicology
Indiana University