Re: [NTLK] real v newton

From: Alexander Schreiber (als_at_thangorodrim.de)
Date: Mon Oct 15 2001 - 06:06:44 EDT

On Sun, Oct 14, 2001 at 07:33:28PM -0600, Grant [Next Please] Hutchinson wrote:

> In a previous message, Jon Glass typed vigorously:
>
> >I heard that XP uses really draconian protection schemes, like watching how
> >many times you have upgraded, and other things. If it doesn't like what it
> >finds, it shuts down and won't let you use it. Is this true?
>
> Oh yeah, in spades. Typical Microsoftian heavy-handedness.
>
> http://siliconvalley.com/docs/opinion/dgillmor/dg101101.htm
>
> Why do consumers continually put up with this kind of crap?

I don't know - must like being bullied around or something. I'm not going
to touch this Microsoft product either, I'm happily running UNIX
(Linux, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, Solaris) on my private machines for
years and I don't use any Microsoft stuff. I only have to deal with the
icky stuff in the company I'm working for and I certainly will try to
steer them clear off XP (wasn't that "eXPerimental" or something?).

Basically, I need Microsoft Windows as much as I need cancer.

But I must admit that I just _love_ this draconian license enforcement
scheme Microsoft has come up with. Might just show at least a few people
that Microsoft has already _way_ too much power in the PC market and
that there are viable alternatives to paying the Microsoft tax.

Regards,
      Alex.

--
The only sensible way to estimate the stability of a Windows
server is to power it down and try it out as a step ladder.