Re: [NTLK] real v newton

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Mon Oct 15 2001 - 02:43:17 EDT

on 10/15/01 5:14 AM, Ed Kummel at tech_ed_at_yahoo.com wrote:

> I've got no problem about vendor trying to protect
> their investment...

I agree, but at the same time, although Microsoft has that right, which I
can understand, being able to go to the local "gielda" or market, and buy
the whole suite of Microsoft products on one CDR for about $5, their new
policy has the potential to backfire on them.

You know, they are nervous, both about piracy, and about the threat that
Linux and other Operating systems pose, yet, their very own policy may to
more to promote those alternatives than anything anyone else has done. This
is the paradox of the marketplace. :-) It also makes me think that this new
policy will not last long. Lost revenues are, after all, lost revenues. No
company can go about promoting the competition forever by its own policies.
:-)

--
Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! - I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry