Re: [NTLK] Pen Scanner for eMate-Newton?

From: Brian (bmcewen_at_mediaone.net)
Date: Sun Oct 14 2001 - 21:27:53 EDT

>On 10/14/01 6:39 PM, "JForsterMD_at_aol.com" <JForsterMD_at_aol.com> so eloquently
>stated:
>
>> Someone in this group had
>> mentioned another reader which works with infrared.

        Paul Grothaus mentioned the Quicklink (with Backtalk needed) as
definitely working via IR (thus starting this mess :). Other mentioned the
C-Pen working with Backtalk, but per the tech docs the C-pen also has
serial- not sure if there are Newton-compatabile serial options though.

        You can search www.outpost.com for the Quicklink and it's manufacturer.

        For IR, Outpost has the C-pen for $149 or more (depending on
storage capacity) and the Quicklink for $129.

        The Pocket Reader (via serial cable and special Newton drivers, see
<http://www.unna.org/unna/drivers/other/PocketReader/> for transfers) is
$90 at outpost.com.

        (all prices USD).

        I've not tried any of these, but I looked up the pricing when the
post came across about the Quicklink and IR. Since I'm thinking about
buying Backtalk, if it were a bit cheaper I'd do the pen as well. I
figured I'd post prices since there have been successive posts in the
thread. There might be cheaper vendors.

        The good thing about waiting for tech, is that it usually gets
cheaper as you wait (unless you wait too long and then it starts getting
expensive again (like linear flash :).

        Brian