Re: [NTLK] eMate to Windows connection advice

From: jimthej (jimthej_at_pacbell.net)
Date: Mon Oct 08 2001 - 22:53:11 EDT

on 10/8/01 7:12 PM, Diana Oakley at dianajoakley_at_yahoo.com wrote:

>=20
> I need to connect an eMate to a computer that has
> Windows 98 installed. I have the connection cable to
> do the job - one end attaches to the eMate (round
> serial cable looking piece), the other is 9-pin female
> piece (sorry - I know what I'm talking about, I just
> don't know the proper names).
>=20
> I know I need an NCU for Windows and I know I need to
> look for it probably on UNNA. I do have the CD that
> came with the eMate, but am not sure if all the right
> stuff will be on there.
>=20
> Questions: =20
>=20
> 1. The computer is 180 miles away and I won't be
> seeing it for two weeks, but when I do, where should I
> expect to be able to attach the cable on the back of
> the computer? Should there be some kind of port
> available there? [I'm a Mac person and unfamiliar
> with the hardware and ports on the back of the other
> computers.]
>=20
> 2. Once everything is properly installed and
> attached, what kind of options will NCU give for
> tranlating NewtonWorks? Word? Works?
>=20
> Any other advice would be most welcome.
>=20
1. Cable connects to serial port. Just match the connectors, just like on a
Mac, only different shape.
2. Use NCU to select serial port. Usually labeled: "COM1, COM2" Also set
port speed. Try for 38,800 BAUD, if it doesn=B9t connect, try a lower speed.
Settings are in one of the menus on NCU. You need to launch it before
connecting, just like on a Mac.
3. In eMate dock select serial connection. Hook up cables and tap "Connect"
4. Interface is just like Mac NCU. Same choices.
5. Enjoy (Take a bottle of Windex with you.)

Jim Johnston
Teacher
Mac Smacker
Newton User