[NTLK] Please help? Unix shell / Newton

From: Jeremy Bond Shepherd (jbond_at_eskimo.com)
Date: Sun Oct 07 2001 - 21:22:51 EDT

--

Hello,

I would be very appreciative if someone could please help me troubleshoot a problem I'm encountering. If you have PT100, a modem dialup access to the Internet, and a Unix shell account, could you please try the following?

1. Establish a PPP connection to the Internet via modem (NOT Ethernet) 2. telnet into your shell account with PT100 3. run the command "od /etc/termcap".

And tell me what happens.

The command is just an octal dump of the /etc/termcap file .. basically it's a good way of generating a bunch of characters in a tabular format so it's easy to visually see if any output is being lost.

On my setup, the command runs to about line 400 (about half a screen full of output) and then stops transmitting. This works fine (runs much longer) on a desktop machine dialed in with the same modem, same ISP, same cable, etc. Also, I can run this command when the Newton is connected via Ethernet and it works as expected. It's ONLY when dialled in using a modem that it cuts off.

The reason I am concerned about this is not because I enjoy watching octal dumps on my MP2100. :-) But rather, this same transmission problem occurs when I try to use a mail client that runs an SMTP UIDL command (i.e. Simplemail)... the output always stops before it should, when using a Newton and when using dialup.

I have tried permutations of the following, with no change:

* Newton modem setups * modems (one serial, one PCMCIA) * all combinations I can imagine of compression, flow control, modulation type, MNP block size, and port speed (through modem init strings and Newton-side port setup) * three different dialup ISPs

All signs point to either (a) some configuration at the Unix shell service I am telnetting into (it's Eskimo.com in case anyone's curious), or (b) a bug in the NIE.

If someone would be so kind as to run the OD and let me know what the result is, I could narrow it down further.

A thousand thanks,

-Jeremy

Jeremy Bond Shepherd | "If I'm going to keep on visiting you, San Francisco, CA | I'll have to send you some good sherry." Internet: jbond_at_eskimo.com | -Lord Henry Wotton, in Oscar Wilde's Phone 415-929-0297 | THE PICTURE OF DORIAN GRAY

PGP Public key can be found on most servers.